Description: The St. Bethlehem community was originally known as Cherry Station. It was named for the Cherry family who owned the land adjacent to the railroad. Miss Mary Cherry had a private school in her home at Cherry Station. Private schools in houses were thought of as the forerunners of public schools in Montgomery County. The first public school in St. Bethlehem was a little two-room building sitting on a hill on what is now Old Russellville Pike. The increasing growth in population led to the need for more rooms. Additional land was not available; therefore a new school was planned. The school provided for the education of students for grades one through eight. Students and faculty moved into the new four room school in the mid-1930s. The four room school was adequate for a long time due to the Great Depression decreasing the population growth in the area. In the late 1940s, a fifth room was added to the school. Then, in the 1952-1953 school year, the first indoor restrooms were built as well as two more classrooms, a kitchen, and a cafeteria. Mrs. Evelyn Bell, the eighth grade teacher, was teaching principal at the time.
Be the first to review this childcare provider. Write a review about ST. BETHLEHEM ELEMENTARY PRE K. Let other families know what’s great, or what could be improved. Please read our brief review guidelines to make your review as helpful as possible.